Cantilever gates are great alternatives to sliding gates for any industrial or business complex. These gates are among the most contemporary ones and have various benefits over normal sliding gates. These gates are larger than the opening areas which they are responsible to cover and they do not touch the ground. Instead, they are overhung with no external bracing in use. This is the exact reason why these gates are so efficient in withstanding gravitational force and wind energies. These gates are also designed in a way to prevent sagging. Gate operators can easily operate them and installations of these gates are simple and uncomplicated.
What Are Cantilever Gates?
These gate systems are great alternatives to traditional sliding gates as they do not require tracking along the ground or the gate length. Rails support these gates in an inward way to the fence structure. The term “cantilever” suggests that these gates hang over the opening space of the gates. These gates come with a wider design and the fence structure supporting them is designed to be half in width in terms of the opening space. Tracks or rollers touching the ground do not support these gates. This is exactly why these types of gates are best suited for industrial applications. The overhanging gate “cantilevers”, or simply slides without any tracks and closes the gate space with no external braces being involved.
Components of Cantilever Gates
Usually, more than two galvanized metal posts, also known as mounting posts are used to bear the load of the gate. They can be either square or round in shape. These gates are generally fabricated either from steel or from aluminium. The gate framework also can be either square or round in shape. Here, the gate’s framework itself is utilized as the tracks, and hence expertise is required in constructing these gates, as they need a smooth surface for operation.
Counter balances to these gates are provided by making the section 50% of the opening space. In case of automatic cantilever gates, the counter balance section is made longer so as to be able to shut the gate properly. Determining post size is also an important factor for its industrial or commercial applications. Wider gates call for taller posts to be able to support the load. Another important part of this type of gate is the concrete footers that demand significant consideration. The diameter of these footers must be at least 18” with a depth of 42” for standard 3-4 posts. With an increase of number of posts, the depth and diameter must be accordingly increased.
Why Cantilever Gates Are the Best Choice for Commercial Complexes
- Lateral space is not consumed: Here no tracks are required. These gates are designed in a way so that they are supported from a single end for opening and closing. Therefore, these gates slide along the line of your fence. Hence no lateral space is consumed.
- Perfect for steep inclines: These gates are best suited for steep inclines. As it does not touch the ground, you don’t need to worry about angled spaces.
- Weatherproof: These gates remain unaltered in weather conditions like snow, frost or heavy rain. In case the driveway is laden with frost these gates will still operate effectively.
- Best suited for uneven grounds: As these gates do not come in contact with the ground at all, they are the best choice for uneven landscapes like blocked paving, gravel and grass.
- Durable: These Cantilever gates come with long life as the structures are really durable, carrying with them the assurance that they will last for years.’
There are many factors to consider, before you buy the Cantilever gates. You can search from the online portals to get an idea about the sizes, the types and the cost of the Cantilever gates.