Commercial kitchens are mostly prone to fire accidents; and they are high on the list of hazardous work environments; therefore, proper precautionary measures need to be taken in order to protect employees, and customers. The commercial kitchen canopy or the extractor hood is used as kitchen ventilation equipment.
- Removing excess oil and hot air from the kitchen and to ensure that the cool fresh air enters the kitchen.
- Keeping the kitchen free from odors, stuffiness, and grease and to ensure that there is proper air circulation all over the place.
- Preventing that risk of the accumulation of the poisonous carbon monoxide gas within the kitchen area.
Beneficial Tips to Increase the functionality of Commercial Kitchen Canopy
- The commercial kitchen canopy should be strong and it should have filter banks with outlets for draining at the base of the filter bank.
- It should consist of drain taps on the bottom of the frame to stop excess oil from getting stuck in the filters.
- The duct and fan should be functional and placed appropriately to prevent oil, grease, and fat build up in the commercial kitchen canopy system.
- It should be cleaned weekly along with the filters to enhance its functionality; while the fan and the duct should be cleaned twice a year by calling the professional cleaning company.
- The noise levels of the commercial kitchen canopy should be checked regularly so that it can work perfectly.
- To provide optimal energy efficiency, the system should operate with the least exhaust flow to deliver sufficient detention and control of wastes. Higher exhaust flow may result in higher Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) loads.
However, it is essential to note that the commercial kitchen canopy should be examined depending on the volume of cooking frequency; like for example, the systems that works 24/7 should be examined quarterly; whereas the systems that serve low volume cooking operations should be examined annually. The systems that serve solid fuel cooking operations should be checked monthly.
Types of commercial kitchen canopy:
The style, design and functionality of the commercial kitchen canopy is different from the domestic kitchen canopy as the kitchen canopy used in commercial setting needs to withstand heavy loads. The commercial kitchen canopy is commonly used in hotels, restaurants, hospital kitchen, and kitchen of pubs, nursing homes, and rehabilitation and restoration center. The kitchen hoods are basically of 2 types:
- Overhead canopies
- Back shelf or proximity hoods
In addition, there are kitchen canopies that are ideal for kitchen with low ceiling and for higher ceiling.
Tips on how to find a kitchen canopy cleaning company:
The kitchen canopy should be cleaned regularly to avoid fire and other fire related hazards. Other than following the guidelines mentioned, one should get the commercial kitchen canopy cleaned whenever there is a collection of grease on its surface.
- Listed below are some of the tips that would help in finding the suitable commercial kitchen canopy cleaning company.
- The company should be well versed with the state’s rules and regulations regarding kitchen cleaning.
- The company should be able to provide a written document post completion of the work regarding the cleaning services provided. This is a proof required during inspections and examinations.
- The company should include services such as deep cleaning of the kitchen, fire damper checks and maintenance along with the commercial kitchen canopy cleaning service.
- The company should be accredited and should have a good track record of successfully completed jobs.
Therefore, it can be said that all commercial kitchen extraction systems need a canopy to accumulate smoke, oil and grease and to improve the energy efficiency and functioning of the kitchen.